What this blog is and what it isn't

This is a food blog with recipes and ideas for using the seasonal vegetables from your garden, friend's gardens and community supported agriculture shares (CSA). If you haven't checked out a CSA in your area, it is worth your time to check out what is available to you, and LOCAL HARVEST is a great place to start.

I am trying oh so hard to become a Forks over Knives type vegan, with no animal products of any kind and no added oil. I have given up meat, fish, dairy, eggs and most processed foods and am moving toward the goal of no oil. While you will find eggs, dairy and oil in my earlier recipes, the goal is not to use them anymore.

Some of my earlier recipes include dairy and eggs, but I am moving away from that, I am endeavoring to create delicious all vegan no fat added recipes.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fresh Salsa

Traditionally I had been making salsa by parboiling the tomatoes to remove the skins, and cubing them resulting in a chunky salsa. While I still think this kind of salsa is the bomb, sometimes you need fresh salsa in a more expedient and less messy manner!
I have come up with a way to make a delicious, albeit less chunky, salsa in my Ninja food processor. I am sure you could use any food processor or a Vitamix.

Rough chop the following:

5 tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 jalapeno
Place them in your processor and give them a whiz
add the following:
juice of one lime
couple generous pinches of Kosher salt
2 tsp cumin
Give it another whiz

From here you can just place it in a jar to use within the next 10 days, or freeze it in freezer jars or bags.
You can also use a food strainer to strain off some of the juice. Remember the longer it sets the spicier the jalapenos will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment