What this blog is and what it isn't

This is a food blog with recipes and ideas for using the seasonal vegetables from your garden, friend's gardens and community supported agriculture shares (CSA). If you haven't checked out a CSA in your area, it is worth your time to check out what is available to you, and LOCAL HARVEST is a great place to start.

I am trying oh so hard to become a Forks over Knives type vegan, with no animal products of any kind and no added oil. I have given up meat, fish, dairy, eggs and most processed foods and am moving toward the goal of no oil. While you will find eggs, dairy and oil in my earlier recipes, the goal is not to use them anymore.

Some of my earlier recipes include dairy and eggs, but I am moving away from that, I am endeavoring to create delicious all vegan no fat added recipes.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Black Rice Salad


I bought black rice several months ago because Dr. Oz said it was good for you! LOL! I had no idea what to do with it and I needed a side dish for some veggie kabobs. I like cold rice salads, and WOW, this was born! It is delicious!

Makes about 6-8 servings.

1 Cup black Thai rice
1-3/4 Cups water
pinch salt
1/2 yellow pepper diced
1/2 red pepper diced
1/4 Cup red onion diced
1/4 Cup fresh chopped mint
1/4 Cup fresh chopped basil
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro

Sauce
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. Tamari sauce (or 1 Tbsp. soy and 1 Tbsp. vegetarian fish sauce)
Juice of one lime

Bring the rice, pinch of salt and water to a boil in a sauce pan over high heat. Reuce heat to simmer and cover with lid. Let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes, or until water is absorbed.

Whisk together sesame oil, tamari and lime juice. Set aside.

Once rice is cooked transfer to bowl. Pour sauce over the rice while it is still warm. Stir well. Add chopped pepper and onion and chopped herbs. Chill and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen black rice (assuming it's not the same as wild rice), so I guess I'd have to seek it out from Asian supermarket. I'd like to try it though!

    ReplyDelete